Wednesday 14 January 2015

Intro

Finally gotten around to starting a blog- I should have started this 4 months ago, but its been a busy time out here.

To begin...
(Those of you who are friends & family, so you'll know most this story, and can skip half of this.)

I'm a 24yo Yorkshire Farmer's son who some how made it through school & university, ending up being told by Scotland's best university (Edinburgh, of course) that I was worthy to treat animals as a Veterinary Surgeon.

Having achieved all that, a long with a long list of great friendships and happy memories, I decided to leave it all behind and go explore life outside of the cosy EU, by moving to The Shire.

So now I'm working as a farm/exotics vet for a large practice in a place called Bulls (seriously, you've never herd of Bulls? Its and unforgetaBull place. Its also the reason for the name of the blog.), on the plains of the Manawatu region of New Zealand!

From here one can see the myriad of mountains that the Southern extent of New Zealand's North Island has to offer, as well as a vast array of animals number of dairy cows. We're within about 2 hours of the Capital, Wellington, several forest parks, the Tasman Sea, The Anduin and Mount Doom, so weekends can be exhaustingly cool.

My weekdays are mostly all based around dairy cows- lameness, sickness, dehorning, PD-ing, fertility, calving etc., some days are bread-and-butter days, some days are smoked salmon with a side of mashed potato infused with truffle oil. And occasionally the plate is completely empty, and I go help deal with small animals.

I have a history of being educated in the ways of the chicken, and went to the UK vet school with the best exotics department, so I also work to keep the local poultry population from perishing, and attempt to exercise my experience with exotics.

My abode is a small house in Bulls, with a young dairy farm manager, who owns the house, and a lad who works for a forestry company, who owns the PS4.


The plan is that I will write here as often as possible. I don't know how much or how often I'll write, but hopefully I can keep you all informed about my adventures in NZ, as well as what ever's going on inside my head. I'll try to keep it logical and coherent, stick to the best of NZ that I've learnt, but I'll occasionally go off on a tangent, or berate the universal management.
(If you're good there'll be pictures too!)

- An Englishman in N' Zealan'

No comments:

Post a Comment