Sunday 26 April 2015

Taranaki Part 3: New Plymouth

A continuation of my trip to Taranaki, this entry is primarily about New Plymouth. This is the primary city in the region of Taranaki, out on the Western coast of New Zealand's North Island. I wasn't really expecting much (not much of a city person) but really enjoyed my short stay here. The beach front is beautiful, and the tourist center combines the city's large museum & library. Hoefully I'll be able to go back at some time. I don't have a great many pictures of the city, but I've bought a few books about the region which I'll be sending to my mother soon, and I'm sure she'll be happily showing anyone who visits.

I didn't have time to visit the local parks, only spent a small time at the beach, and spent the time on the city looking at the museum. I'll give you some details of what I learnt there later, but for now I thought you'd like to see the HUGE rock that sits on the water front. This stands high above the city, allowing views far out over the region, out across the Tasman sea, and across to the mountain. The climb to the top of this bastion isn't easy and involves a decent section of rock climbing near the summit (wouldn't be allowed in the UK, Health & Safety gone made!)

This is the rock, from the bottom


And this is the route I undertook, with a few steps and chains to help get up







There were some phenomenal views on the way up, including the port, the city, and the mountain







At the top was a beautiful view of the coast








Finally, I'll leave you with a weird thing that was at the top, a Trig Point that has been rigorously adorned with birds






Nearly forgot the one thing I did take pictures of in New Plymouth- glowing chairs! They were in the museum's cinema, made of translucent plastic, with constantly changing internal lights. I want one!








No comments:

Post a Comment