Monday 8 February 2016

Day 58,59 & 60: Ferry and back to Wellington

Monday 1st Tuesday 2nd Wednesday 3rd February

Kaikoura to Wellington via the ferry and 2 days in Wellington

Distance: Bus, 160km, Ferry, 100km

Total Distance: 6628km

The bus took us as far as the ferry terminal  at Picton. Half the tourists stated on the bus, preparing to do the west coast as they'd started in Christchurch. The rest of us checked in and got onto the ferry. It's wasn't so different from when I travelled from Wellington to Picton- clear skies, calm sea. I explored more, going up the the observation deck on the roof to see the last trails of land of the South Island as we left. I found the bar where a pint of beer was only $6- as much as on land- and sat to watch the ending of "Dambusters" on the large TV as a band played in the corner. Through the back of the bar was an area at the back of the ship. The wooden decking was covering in wicker chairs so one could relax whilst watching the South Island slide away throught the slanted glass roof. Which sounds lovely until you appreciate that's is basically a giant green house. Too warm for me. Time for some of the fantastic warm date scones that they bring around on a trolley.

Eventually I made it into Wellington where I would be staying with my good friend Sara for a couple of days. I dropped my bags off and, as she wasn't back from work yet, went to go see Taranteno's new film. 

The next day I repacked a couple of times then went out to go see Weta Workshop. Weta was made famous by the Lord of the Rings but, like the landscapes of New Zealand, it has done far more of note than just these three films. 
I decided to be lazy and get the Weta bus rather than a public bus to the site. It was much more expensive but kind of worth it. On the way back we would go via some of the other studios, a few sites of not around the area, and Peter Jackson's house. Apparently Scarlet Johanssen was filming nearby and living in a house on Peter's street. We never saw her through. :'(
We started with a film about Weta Workshop being formed in the flat of a Kiwi couple who Peter Jackson became friends with and together they made a number of 90's Kiwi films before moving on to bigger and bigger projects.
Weta has a display area which is near to much of their design and development space. It was AMAZING. There are models, prosthetics, art work and equipment from the many films they've helped with, alongside projects for private individuals and personal projects. Much of the gear from Lord of the a Rings is now nearly 20 years old and being steadily diluted by Narnia, District 9, King King, Halo, and The Wotwots. A nerds paradise. Loved it.
I even had a good chat afterwards with one of the designers about my own wee project. I'll tell you about that another day.

The next day I end up to Zealandia. This is a large bird sanctuary above Wellington. With the best anti-pest fences available it is effectively an island amidst the city. Here, like on Stewart Island, the birds can live in a virtual paradise with limited threat from such predators as rats and cats. Thus they thrive. 
Zealandia is a great place for anyone wanting to see New Zealand's birds. The downside for me was...me. 
Oh, look, a Kaka...seen it
A Tomtit...seen it
Parakeet...seen it
But,inf you're in Wellington I would highly recommend it. There are free buses that run from the information centre- the I-site- in the middle of the city. There are also guided tours and mobility scooters. Hence, if you won't make it to the top of Mount Avalanche or the swamp-jungles of Stewart Island, Zealandia is a wonderful place.
And it does allo you to see what NZ might be like if we hadn't invaded with all our mammals.

I also dropped into Te Papa. No real reason, just my favourite place. A phenomenal free museum. If you go to nothing else in Welly, go to Te Papa.

Then came my last evening in New Zealand. Sara gave me a call and I joined here at Crumpets, the supreme cocktail bar in Welly, for a couple of drinks with friends. We then headed to Five Boroughs, the American diner for my last meal in New Zealand. Sacrilege, I know.
1/2 a kilo of hot wings, 4 pieces of buttermilk fried chicken, 2 deep fried Oreos with ice cream, and a stack of pancakes with bacon and maple syrup later and I was quite full.
11pm that evening we got back to the flat. And I decided to repack. And repack. And repack.
By 1am I had it sorted, had a shower and went for 2 hours of sleep before my flight.



No comments:

Post a Comment