Tuesday 1 March 2016

Day 86: Fly into Alice Springs

Monday 29th February
Happy Leap Day!

Good Bye
Flying to Alice Spirings
Hot. Dry. Spiders.
New people! Hello! Gluten Tag!

Distance:
Total Distance:

We didn't really have to wake up too early, but it was really necessary. Today we were splitting. 6 of us would be going to Alice Springs. 1 was staying in Cairns. And 13 were off north, to Cape Tribulation. Hence we were up, by the roadside, me swallowing my vegemite on toast and coffee as the girls attempted not to cry. Hugs and heart felt sorrow. I've done this too many times already though. Throughout New Zealand I switched between groups and hostels all of the time. I wanted to do a tour like this to have a "home" for a change. Not to have to constantly meet new people and lose the old. In time I've become a big believing in the idea that the important ones come back though, by accident or design. This happened in NZ, as well as with the people I left after school and university. Phones, Facebook, Skype, and we can plan to physically meet up in the future. That's the beauty of the modern world. Still, it's sad to have our old home broken like this. I'll miss having them about. The time we had was great.

Time to fly into Alice Springs!

Not far out of Cairns the landscape went from sugar cane and forests to red scrub land. Occasionally rocks, mountains, and perfectly straight roads appeared. There was the odd mine. Then I fell asleep. And we were landing.

It was odd. Like opening an AGA. Very hot, yet very dry. Hence I didn't really feel it properly until I went into the air conditioned terminal. Bag collection, new "CEO" tour guide, mini bus to hotel, blog write ups, nap, food shopping, more sleep. 

At 7pm we all met up in reception. 6 new people joined us. A German guy, 3 German women, a Canadian girl, and a Scottish lass. It must be very odd for them when the 6 of us already know each other so well. We went out to the pub for dinner and a few drinks to chat. I got a steak bigger than my hand for $10-that's about £5! Wasn't ever going to be the best I've ever had, but it was still good. We chatted away to the new people and got to know them. Were about to spend a huge amount. Of time together, better to be friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment