Monday 21 December 2015

Day 14, 15, 16, 17: Bulls, Wellington, Ferry, SOUTH ISLAND!

19th-22nd December
Rotorua-Bulls-Wellington-Ferry-South Island- Kaiteriteri

Distance, Bus, Roto to Ferry, 462km, Ferry 98km, Bus to Kaiteriteri, 169km
Total Distance 3281km

Well, the excitement of Days 12 & 13 were a killer to write up. Better not do anything too exciting for a while.

I needed to go back to Bulls to refuel, restock, and move gear, before going to Wellington for meeting to organise my life for the next 5 months, then onto the Interislander Ferry.

On the way to Bulls our driver of the public bus randomly stopped off by the major mountains of the North Island (not including Taranaki, which is also worth visiting). Suddenly I realised this might be the last time I would see Tongoriro and Ngauruhoe, of the Tongoriro Crossing, and Ruepehu, where I went skiing with students from Massey University. The weather was gorgeous. Picture time!



I repackaged at Bulls, had a catch up with my flatmates Ben and Emma, who were very helpful agreeing to post my giant parcel home for me. Last look around Bulls, were I've been living for the past year, before the bus to Wellington.

I love Wellington. Stay here.go to Te Papa, you'll learn a lot about NZ. I've done about 2 days there. I try to go back for the art gallery on the top floor whenever I can. Mount Victoria and Botanical garden are beautiful too, as is the waterfront. I'll try hit Zealandia and Weta Workshop when I'm back to fly out.

Instead, this time, I repacked again, went to see Star Wars (before I hear any spoilers!), and was invited by my friend to the leaving do of two of the most important people in the history of the NZ veterinary association's magazine's history, at a bar on the waterfront.

This morning I was up early, packed then off to the Kiwi Experience bus and the ferry. So now here I am, eating the Famous Interislander Scones- seriously, good job I'm sat near where the trolley came in, they were gone in minutes, date, plain, and cheese varieties, with butter, jam, and cream. They present it really well, then I was released on mine:


I wanted to take a "before" photo, but got too excited.

3 hours to get across, with cinema, bar, full English breakfasts, magic shows, and dubious but free wifi, all available. 

So, to the South Island. I'll be kayaking again this afternoon!

Here's the South Island 



1 comment: