Sunday 6 December 2015

Where's Wingham? Day 1- and so it begins!

Well, I'm making a start on trying to keep you all updated from day 1. Long may it continue.
For those of you on Facebook you might also experience 6 months of my short ramblings and photos whenever I have wifi
The same goes for anyone following me on Twitter @The_Animagus

Today began with the usual ramshackled stumblings of an overly excited, slightly worried, quite dehydrated, very out of practice, Wandering Wingham. 

Eventually the circus left town, proceeding to get 3 buses, 2 egg and ham sandwiches, and a Moro bar  over the 420km to Gisborne. 2 rambling old women sat behind me all the way, chatting over whatever, eating cheese and weird flavours of crisps. The rain steadily poured down and I went to sleep.

Thankfully I'd had the foresight to book my accommodation 2 days in advance. Seems everyone else also wants to stay in the ex-convent I found, now a budget hostel. Whole place is run down (most budget hostels are) and the feeling of deep religious thought has been washed away by a stream of smelly students.

At the moment it's not a stream, it's a down pour. And they're 95% German Surfers. I didn't get as far as I would have liked with my German course. I've never surfed. Oh well, there's a decent French guy and a young German lad in my dorm, so been hearing their stories. 

Everyone else is either chatting about surfing, watching surfing videos, or staring at screens. 
We have FREE WIFI!!!
Which is great for so many reasons, but it does hamper conversation. Why bother trying to get chatting to a bunch of random people when I'm only here for a couple of nights? Because most of them will be interesting! But I'm tired. Tired from sitting on a bus all day? Fine, I'll try.

Sorry, where was I? Ah, yes.
In the beginning there where the three amigos.
Let me introduce the other two.


Meet Mini-Wingham and our doggie

I've decided to christen Mini-Me as Walter Knitty the Witty
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was on the plane when I first flew out and was on TV the night before I left Bulls. It's a pretty good film about a quiet guy who works for Life magazine ending up on a sudden adventure. Seemed a fitting name, with a little change.

Our wee doggie is called Tonto
I was going to call him Toto, because we're not in Kansas anymore. But I prefer the name Tonto, and it fits so it sticks. Does this make me the Lone Ranger? Maybe.


Tomorrow I'm going to visit some gardens and climb a hill. It's not the most exciting start, but as Gisborne is the "First place to see the sun" (take that Japan), I had to visit.
Then we're off to Rotorua, the Redwood forest and the Buried Village 


Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment